English (Practice Set-05)
Directions (Q. Nos. 1-5) Read the passage and answer the following questions.
The surprisingly abundant life of the Indian Ocean is confined the upper layers; the deeper and especially the bottom waters are devoid of oxygen and are often permeated hydrogen sulphide.
1. The passage gives the information about (a) The life of the people near the Indian Ocean
(b) The reason why life exists in particular water layer
(c) The reason why oxygen is not found in the bottom layers
(d) The reason why drogen sulphide is found in the bottom layers
2. The bottom waters of the Indian Ocean (a) Have no oxygen
(b) Have large amounts of oxygen
(c) Contain a lot of sea plants and animals (d) Contain hydrogen sulphide
3. The waters of the Indian Ocean
(a) Are devoid of life
(b) Are always permeated with hydrogen sulphide
(c) Have life only in the lower layers
(d) Have life only in the upper layers
4. Which of the following is the most opposite of the word ABUNDANT, as used in the passage?
5. The passage suggests which one of the following:
(a) Observers are surprised at abundant life exists in the Indian Ocean
(b) Hydrogen sulphide is necessary to life (c) Both oxygen and hydrogen sulphide are necessary to lifed
(d) Oxygen is not necessary for marine life
Directions (Q. Nos. 6-7) Fill in the blanks.
6. She feared that she …….
(a) will fall
(b) may fall
(c) might have fall
(d) would fall
7. The old man could not remember where he …………….his money.
(b) is depositing
(c) had deposited
(d) will deposit
Directions (Q. Nos. 8-11) Find the error and justify your answers and choose ‘No error’ if you find no error.
8. I am not familiar with (a)/ all the important places in this town (b)/ although I had been living here for two years (c)/ No error (d)
9. What man can die (a)/better than (b)/serving his country? (c)/ No error (d)
10. The government has (a)/ launched many creative schemes (b)/ to make banking services available to everyone. (c)/ No error (d)
11. While the actress wins fans with
(a)/her on screen fire works, off screen, it’s her (b)/down-to-earth attitude and easy-going manner that wins her friends
(c)/No error (d).
Directions (Q. Nos. 12-13) A sentence has been given Direct/Indirect. Select which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct.
12. My daughter said to me, “I am thinking of getting married”.
(a) My daughter told me that she was thinking of getting married.
(b) My daughter told me that she will be thinking of getting married
(c) My daughter thinks of getting married. (d) My daughter told me that she is thinking of getting married.
13. His uncle said, “I am always punctual”. (a) His uncle said that he was always punctual.
(b) His uncle said that I was always punctual.
(c) His uncle said that he is always punctual.
(d) His uncle said that I am always punctual.
Directions (Q. Nos. 14-15) A part of the sentence is underlined. Choose the correct alternative which should be put in place underlined part.
14. The practice of starving the children in order to cure diarrhoea also aggravates the situation.
(a) starve children
(b) starving children
(c) starving child
(d) No improvement
15. A black and white goat were grazing.
(a) The white and the black goat
(b) A black and a white goat
(c) Black and a white goat
(d) No improvement
16. Select the one which best expresses the same sentences in the Active Voice. We shall write a novel.
(a) A novel will be written by us
(b) A novel will have ben written by us
(c) A novel would be written by us
(d) A novel is written by us
17. Choose the correct antonym for the given word. Feasibility
18. Choose the correct synonym for the given word. CONTRACTUA
19. Choose the correct preposition. Due to heavy rain, the match was called…………….(a) of (b) off (c) down (d) out
20. Fill in the blank.
The resort is ……… the lake.
(a) from(b) has (c) besides (d) beside
21. Choose the correct conjunction. I learn ……… one can be a good human being if one learns from one’s mistake.
(c) so for
(d) No conjunction
22. Choose the alternative which best express the meaning of the Idiom/Phrase. The kid could no longer stave off his hunger.
23. Out of the four alternative, choose the one which can be substituted for the given word/sentence. Shamelessly rude
Directions (Q.Nos. 24-25) Choose the correct spelt word.
25. (a) Bouguoise
1. (d) 2. (d) 3. (d) 4. (d) 5. (a) 6. (d) 7. (c) 8. (c) 9. (a) 10. (c) 11. (c) 12. (a) 13. (a) 14. (b) 15. (b) 16. (a) 17. (b) 18. (c) 19. (b) 20. (d) 21.(b) 22.(b) 23. (b) 24. (a) 25.(b)