English (Practice Set-09)
Directions (Q. Nos. 1-2) Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. It a sentence is free from error ‘No error.
1. Kalidas is (n)/ a Shakespeare (b)/the worse in becomes. (c)/ No error (d)
2. I want to get (a)/ a M.A. degree (b)/from a reputed university located in India. (c)/ No error (d)
3. A part of the sentence is underlined. Choose the correct alternative which should be put in place underlined part Where have you first mct your husband? (a) had you first met (b) did you first met (c) did you first meet (d) No improvement
4. Fill in the blank. Making pies and cakes ……. Mrs. Reddy’s specialty.
Directions (Q. Nos. 5-9) In the following passage some of the words have been left. Try to understand what it is about. Then fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given. When I go into stranger’s library I …(5)… round bookshelves. This is to know the type of person he is and I feel that I know the … (6)… to his mind. A house without books is a …(7)… house, no matter how the carpets are. These only tell you whether he …(8)… a money, but the books tell you whether he has a mind as well. It is not a …(9)… of money that we do not buy books.
5. (a) Wonder
6. (a) secrey
7. (a) characterless
8. (a) had
(d) has had
9. (a) reason
10. Selected the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct.
Mother told me that I should listen to her first and then do anything as I pleased.
(a) Mother said to me, “I should listen to me first and then do anything I please.”
(b) Mother said to me, “He should listen to her first and then do anything he pleases.”
(c) Mother said to me, “You should listen to me first and then do anything I pleased.
(d) Mother said to me, “You should listen to me first and then do anything as you please.”
11. Choose the correct alternative in place of underline word/sentence.
In case if it rains, I shall not visit you.
(a) If for
(b) In case of
(d) No improvement
12. Choose the proper sequence.
(a) Our school had won match ifonly we have concentrated.
(b) Our school would have won the match if only we would have concentrated.
(c) Our school would have won the match if only we had concentrated
(d) Our school had won the match if only we would have concentrated.
13. Choose the correct preposition.
Mumbai is famous because of its textiles.
(a) No improvement
14. Choose the correct antonym for the given word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 15-16) Identify correct spelt word.
15. (a) Valetudeinarian
16. (a) Obnoxious
17. Fill up with conjunction.
Ramu has to work ……….. his father had died when he
was five years old
18. Out of the four alternative, choose the one which can be
substituted for the given words/sentence.
One of the time-tested ways of remembering a series of
19. Choose the alternative which best express the meaning of
You scratch back. I’ll scratch yours.
(a) Mutual favour
(b) Mutual understanding
(c) mutual respect
(d) Mutual disliking
20. Select the one which best expresses the same sentence in
Our parents have taught us to behave properly.
(a) We have been taught to behave properly by our parents.
(b) We were taught how not to behave properly by our
(c) Our parents taught us how to behave properly.
(d) Our parents have teaching us how to behave properly.
21. Choose the correct alternative in place of underline
People who enjoy these kind of activities can be very useful for your company.
(a) these kind of activity
(b) these of kind activity
(c) these kinds of activities
(d) the kind of activities like these
22. Each of the following items in this section consists of a sentence, the parts of where have been jumbled. These parts have been labelled P, Q, R and S. Given below each sentence there are four sequences namely (a), (b), (c) and (d) . You are required to re-arrange the jumbled of
Parts the sentence and select the proper sequence.
The difference and development on the other affects
in the relationship between death and birth-rates on theone hand
but the age structure of the population
not just the rate of population growth
Which one of the following sequences is correct?
(a) S R Q P
(b) Q P S R
(c) S P Q R
(d) Q R S P
23. Find the errors and justify your answers. Write ‘No error
if you find no error.
He asked (a) that how long (b)/I would be absent. (c)/
No error (d)
24. Choose the correct synonym for the given word.
25. Fill in the blank it to the complete sentence.
The appearance of the city ……. day by day.
(a) had changed
(b) could change
(d) is changing
Answersheet 1. (b) 2. (B) 3. (c) 4. (a) 5. (c) 6. (c) 7. (d) 8. (c) 9. (c) 10. (d) 11. (c) 12. (c) 13. (b) 14. (c) 15. (c) 16. ( a) 17. (c) 18. (b) 19. (a) 20. (a) 21 (c) 22. (b) 23. (b) 24. (a) 25. (d)