In this article, we will solve English (Practice Set-12). So, let’s get started.
1. Fill in the blank with it to complete the sentence.
The date of the function………. not been decided yet.
- (a) have
- (b) has
- (c) was
- (d) is
Directions (Q. Nos. 2-3) Find the error and justify your answers and choose ‘No error’ if you find no error.
2. This is first time (a) /the company has ventured into (b)movie production. (c) No crror (d)
3. There is no argument against the fact that (a)/ humans are most intelligent (b)/of all species. (c) No error (d)
4. A sentence has been given Direct/Indirect. Select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct
He said, “Gandhi ji faced many awkward situations when he was living in south Africa”.
- (a) He said that Gandhi ji had faced many awkward situations when he was living in South Africa.
- (b) He says that Gandhi ji faced many awkward situations when he was living in South Africa.
- (c) He told that Gandhi ji had faced many awkward situations when he was living to South Africa.
- (d) He said that Gandhi ji had been facing awkward situations when he was living in South Africa.
5. Fill in the blank.
Had he taken his degree five years ago, he …….. got a promotion by now.
- (a) might
- (b) would have
- (c) will be
- (d) was
6. Choose the proper sequence.
- (a) He may be poor now but he appears to have been rich in his youth.
- (b) He may be poor now but he appears to be rich in his youth
- (c) He may be poor now but he appears being rich in his youth.
- (d) He may be poor now but he appears to rich in his youth.
7. Choose correct option to improve the sentence at place of underlined words.
Honesty is more superior than riches.
- (a) No improvement
- (b) for superior than
- (c) more superior to
- (d) superior to
8. Choose the correct preposition. Leaves …….. in autumn.
- (a) fall down
- (b) fall of
- (c) fall on
- (d) fall off
Directions (Q. Nos. 9-12) Read the passage and answer the following questions.Soft skills refer to non-technical, personality. specific skills that are easy to learn and follow compared to technical skills Therefore these skills are called technical skills. Soft skills encompass anything and everything that relates to the functioning of a group. an individual or an organisation in relation to behavior, performance, interaction, team spirit and all related aspects which are non-technical in nature. In today’s competitive world, the only sustainable competitive advantage that cannot be duplicated is the “soft skills”, the quality, drive, enthusiasm and leadership ability of the people of the organisation. To be more precise, soft skill refers to the cluster of personality traits, interpersonal skills, social graces, etiquettes, personal habits, friendliness, leadership skills and optimism that mark each of us to varying degrees. For aspirants seeking job, a variety of basic traits and skills like knowledge, character traits, and interpersonal abilities combined with ethics and attitudes from the key to their ability to get a job to keep it, and to move up in the organisation. For corporates, soft skills are about projecting oneself and one’s professional skills in the best possible way, and taking holistic view of things. They are about how you interact with and react to others when you come into contact with them; they enable you to zero down to the most important point you went to make but in an attractive and charming manner.
9. Which of the following is not true about soft skills?
- (a) They are easy to learn.
- (b) They involve team spirit.
- (c) They are not non-technical skills.
- (d) They do not rlate to an individual
10. What is not included in the cluster of soft skills?
- (a) Personality traits
- (b) Social graces
- (c) Pessimism
- (d) Ladership skills
11. What all skills an aspirant seeking a job should possess to build a career?
- (a) Interpersonal abilities
- (b) Character traits
- (c) Knowledge
- (d) All of these
12. Select the suitable title for the passage.
- (a) Soft Skills – A Non-Technical Skill
- (6) Soft Skills Your Competitive Advantage
- (c) Soft Skills A Complete Skill
- (d) Soft Skills The Best Leadership Skill
Directions (Q. Nos. 13-14) Find the error and justify your answers and choose ‘No error’ if you find no error.
13. The university has ordered (a)/ an inquiry into the leak and formed an inquiry committee who will have to (b)/submit its primary report within 48 hours. (c) No error (d)
14. There is a growing demand (a) for a law requiring employers to provide workers with paid leave (b) so as to care for sick children. (c)/ No error (d)
15. Out of the four alternative, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentence.
A highly skilled musician
- (a) Artiste
- (b) Virtuoso
- (c) Performer
- (d) Diva
16. Choose the most appropriate alternative out of the four. The police man told me that he knew that saint ……. he had been arrested and sent to prison for fifteen years.
- (a) when
- (b) while
- (c) as
- (d) since
17. Identify the incorrect spelt word.
- (a) Beautisian
- (b) Bilingual
- (c) Barbarian
- (d) Balloon
18. Choose the alternative which best express the meaning of the Idiom/Phrase.
I don’t buy it
- (a) I don’t believe it
- (b) I have no money
- (c) I summarize it
- (d) I don’t need it
19. In each of the following question, four word choices have been given. Out of these four words, you have to choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentences.
Collection of names of books useful for the purpose,
- (a) Bibiography
- (b) Synchronize
- (c) Explicable
- (d) Dignified
20. Find the crror and justify your answers and choose “No error’ if you find no error.
Haven’t you notice (a) that for the past one month he hasn’t been here (b)) at his regular place? (C)/No error (d)
21. Choose the correct Alternative in the place of underline word/sentence.
Being a wet day, he stayed at home.
- (a) Though
- (b) since
- (c) As it was
- (d) No improvement
Directions (Q. Nos. 22-23) In the following questions, pick up correct antonyms for the given words.
- (a) expand
- (b) inflate
- (c) praise
- (d) extol
- (a) uncertain
- (b) ineligible
- (c) inevident
- (d) inefficient
24. Each of the following items in this section consists of a sentence, the parts of where have been jumbled. These parts have been labelled P, Q, R and S. Given below each sentence there are four sequences namely (a), (b), (c) and (d). Your required to re-arrange the jumbled parts of the sentence and select the proper sequence.
On the contrary, in countries like China and the other Paciftc countries, (P)
permission for shooting but also (Q)
film-makers not only obtain quick (R)
get subsidies to undertake the job (S)
Which one of the following sequences is correct?
- (a) PRQS
- (b) QSPR
- (c) PSQR
- (d) QRPS
25. Fill in the blank.
He will not work ………. he is compelled.
- (a) till
- (b) if
- (c) after
- (d) unless
Answer sheet: 1 (b) 2 (a) 3 (b) 4 (a) 5 (b) 6 (a) 7 (d) 8 (a) 9 (c) 10 (c) 11 (d) 12 (b) 13 (a) 14 (d) 15 (c) 16 (d) 17 (a) 18 (a) 19 (a) 20 (a) 21 (c) 22 (d) 23 (c) 24 (a) 25 (d).