In this article, we will discuss Need for Blue Economy. So, let’s get started.
Need for Blue Economy
- Oceans cover three-quarters of the Earth’s surface, contain 97% of the Earth’s water, and represent 99% of the living area on the planet.
- Oceans protect biodiversity, keep the planet cool, and absorb about 30% of global CO2 emissions.
- At least 3-5% of global GDP is derived from oceans.
- Blue economy, through sustainable use of oceans, has great potential for boosting the economic growth by providing opportunities for income generation and jobs etc.
- It can support food security, and diversification to address new resources for energy, new drugs valuable chemicals, protein food, deep sea minerals, security etc.
- It is the next sunrise sector.
- Sunrise Sector is a sector that is expanding rapidly and is expected to be increasingly important in the future.