In this article, we will discuss Major Components of Deep Ocean Mission (DOM). So, let’s get started.
Major Components of Deep Ocean Mission (DOM)
- Development of Technologies for Deep Sea Mining, and Manned Submersible:
- A manned submersible will be developed to carry three people to a depth of 6,000 metres in the ocean with a suite of scientific sensors and tools.
- An Integrated Mining System will be also developed for mining polymetallic nodules at those depths in the central Indian Ocean.
- Polymetallic nodules are rocks scattered on the seabed containing iron, manganese, nickel and cobalt.
- The exploration studies of minerals will pave the way for commercial exploitation in the near future, as and when commercial exploitation code is evolved by the International Seabed Authority, an United Nations (UN) organisation.
- Development of Ocean Climate Change Advisory Services:
- It entails developing a suite of observations and models to understand and provide future projections of important climate variables on seasonal to decadal time scales.
- Technological Innovations for Exploration and Conservation of Deep-sea Biodiversity:
- Bio-prospecting of deep sea flora and fauna including microbes and studies on sustainable utilization of deep sea bio-resources will be the main focus.
- Deep Ocean Survey and Exploration:
- It will explore and identify potential sites of multi-metal Hydrothermal Sulphides mineralization along the Indian Ocean mid-oceanic ridges.
- Energy and Freshwater from the Ocean:
- Studies and detailed engineering design for offshore Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) powered desalination plants are envisaged in this proof of concept proposal.
- OTEC is a technology which uses ocean temperature differences from the surface to depths lower than 1,000 meters, to extract energy.
- Advanced Marine Station for Ocean Biology:
- It is aimed at the development of human capacity and enterprise in ocean biology and engineering.
- It will translate research into industrial application and product development through on-site business incubator facilities.