In this article, we will discuss India Malaysia Relations. So, let’s get started.
India Malaysia Relations
- India established diplomatic relations with Malaysia in 1957.
- Economic Relation:
- India and Malaysia have signed the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA).
- CECA is a kind of Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
- India has also signed the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) in services and investments with the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- Malaysia is the third largest trading partner in ASEAN.
- Bilateral trade between India and Malaysia is significantly biased in favour of Malaysia.
- Defence & Security Cooperation:
- Joint military exercises “Harimau Shakti” are held annually between the two countries.
- Traditional medicine:
- India and Malaysia signed a MoU on cooperation in the field of Traditional Medicine in October 2010.
- The Government of Malaysia has been working to popularize AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) systems in Malaysia.
- AYUSH systems are practiced in Malaysia.
- Recent Developments:
- In 2020, India resumed purchases of Malaysian palm oil after a gap of four-month following a diplomatic row between the two countries.
- The former Prime Minister of Malaysia had criticised India’s Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) which was considered as an interference in the internal matters of India