In this article, we will discuss India’s New Multi-Alignment Approach. So, let’s get started.
India’s New Multi-Alignment Approach
- Multi-Alignment: It is a series of parallel relationships that strengthen multilateral partnerships and seek a common approach among the grouping towards security, economic equity and the elimination of existential dangers like terrorism. Below are a few forums where India’s Multi-Alignment Approach is clearly evident:
- International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC): A 7,200-kilometer multi-modal transport corridor that combines road, rail and maritime routes, connecting Saint Petersburg (Russia) to Mumbai.
- International North-South Transport Corridor offers a platform for India to collaborate with Russia, Iran, and the Central Asian Republics towards fostering a Eurasian Free Trade Area.
- Once fully operational, INSTC is expected to reduce freight costs by 30% and the journey time by 40% compared to the deep-sea route via the Suez Canal.
- BRICS: BRICS is an acronym for the grouping of the world’s leading emerging economies, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, seeks for economic, political and security cooperation including people-to-people exchange through a well-planned mechanism.
- India was instrumental in co-founding the New Development Bank (NDB), a new multilateral initiative expected to rival the World Bank.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization: SCO is a Eurasian political, economic and military organization aiming to maintain peace, security and stability in the region.
- Membership: Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
- Iran and Belarus are likely to be the two newest additions.
- From SCO, China and Russia are looking to counter the West, especially the expansion of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization).
- Quadrilateral Security Dialogue: QUAD is the informal strategic dialogue between India, USA, Japan and Australia with a shared objective to ensure and support a “free, open and prosperous” Indo-Pacific region and counter China.