Skip to the content
- Reasons for the Fall in Minimum Temperature:
- Absence of cloud cover in the region: Clouds trap some of the outgoing infrared radiation and radiate it back downward, warming the ground.
- Snowfall in the upper Himalayas that has blown cold winds towards the region.
- Subsidence of cold air over the region: Subsidence is the downward movement of cold and dry air closer to the surface.
- Prevailing weak La Nina conditions in the Pacific Ocean.
- La Nina is the abnormal cooler sea surface temperatures reported along the equatorial Pacific Ocean and it is known to favour cold waves.
- During La Nina years, the severity of cold conditions becomes intense. The frequency and area covered under the grip of a cold wave becomes larger.