In this article, we will discuss Kyoto Protocol. So, let’s get started.
- The Kyoto Protocol was adopted in Kyoto, Japan, in 1997 and entered into force in 2005.
- The detailed rules for the implementation of the Protocol were adopted at COP-7 in Marrakesh, in 2001, and are referred to as the Marrakesh Accords.
- Its first commitment period started in the year 2008 and ended in 2012.
- Kyoto Protocol Phase-1 (2005-12) gave the target of cutting down emissions by 5%.
- Phase- 2 (2013-20) gave the target of reducing emissions by at least 18% by the industrialized countries.