In this article, we will discuss Blue Bond. So, let’s get started.
- It is a debt instrument issued by governments, development banks etc., to raise capital from investors to finance marine and ocean-based projects.
- It will help in expansion of marine protected areas, improved governance of priority fisheries and the development of the blue economy.
- The blue bond is inspired by the green bond concept.
- Seychelles became the first country in the world to launch sovereign Blue Bonds.
- According to the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), in India, the concept of blue bonds is a mode of sustainable finance, such securities can be utilised for various blue economy-related activities, including oceanic resource mining and sustainable fishing.