In this article, we will discuss Vostok 2022. So, let’s get started.
- About: The Vostok 2022 is a multilateral strategic and command exercise scheduled to take place at seven firing ranges in the Russian Far East and the Sea of Japan, with over 50,000 troops and more than 5,000 weapons units taking part.
- It will involve troops from several ex-Soviet nations, China, India, Laos, Mongolia, Nicaragua and Syria.
- Japan’s Objection: Japan has objected to Russia’s plan to hold the maritime component of Vostok-2022 close to Northern Territories- Southern Kuril Islands, claimed by both Japan and Russia.
- Stand of India: India abstained from sending its warships as part of the exercise, as it decided to stay away from the maritime component of Vostok-2022 in order to avoid hurting the sensitivity of Japan.
- However, India kept a balanced stand as the Indian Army’s contingent of the Gorkha Regiment is participating in the military drills.