In this article, we will discuss History of Sports Governance in India. So, let’s get started.
History of Sports Governance in India
- In the early 1950s, the Federal Government created the All India Council of Sports (AICS) to apprehend the declining standards of sports in the country.
- In 1982 , after Asian games, the department of sports was transformed into the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- In 1984, National Sports Policy was initiated.
- In 2000, the department was converted into a Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS).
- In 2011, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports notified the National Sports Development Code of India 2011.
- In 2022, Ministry of Civil Aviation launched National Air Sport Policy 2022 (NASP 2022) for Aerobatics, Aero modeling, Ballooning, Drones, Hang gliding and powered hang gliding, Parachuting etc.