In this article, we will discuss Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture (UPA). So, let’s get started.
Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture (UPA)
- Urban agriculture is the practice of cultivating, processing and distributing food in or around urban areas. This can address major dimensions of food security.
- The activities in urban agriculture include growing plants and rearing livestock, including aquaculture and apiculture, harvesting, processing and distributing food and non-food products from aromatic and medicinal herbs.
- Peri-urban agriculture occurs in surrounding the boundaries of cities throughout the world.
- It includes products from crop and livestock agriculture, fisheries and forestry and non-wood forest products, as well as ecological services provided by agriculture, fisheries and forestry.
- Often multiple farming and gardening systems exist in and near a single city.