In this article, we will discuss New and Emerging Strategic Technologies (NEST). So, let’s get started.
New and Emerging Strategic Technologies (NEST)
- In 2020, the Ministry of External Affairs established a New, Emerging And Strategic Technologies (NEST) division.
- It acts as the nodal division within the ministry for issues pertaining to new and emerging technologies and assists in collaboration with foreign partners in the field of technology.
- Its mandate includes, but is not be limited to, evolving India’s external technology policy in coordination with domestic stakeholders and in line with India’s developmental priorities and national security goals.
- It will also help assess foreign policy and international legal implications of new and emerging technologies and technology-based resources, and recommend appropriate foreign policy choices.
- NEST also negotiates technology governance rules, standards and architecture, suited to India’s conditions, in multilateral and plurilateral frameworks.